10. I'll Remember You

Bob Dylan returns to the list. This time in the 80s. A decade often viewed as the nadir of Dylan's career, it did have some gems among many of the forgettable songs.  The straightforward lyrics are the centerpiece of this song. Especially since the studio version seems a bit marred by the over production of 80s music that was the norm at the time, albeit not as much as some others. I have included the studio version and a version from his movie Masked and Anonymous. The movie version hits a bit harder and Dylan's weathered voice brings more urgency and emotion to the song.  I was lucky enough to see a fantastic live version of this in 1998 at the United Center with two friends that I fondly look back on and the laughs they gave me when we hung out in high school. 

This song is simply about remembering those that have impacted us, whether it be lifelong friends and family, or a few happenstance encounters.  Truth, loyalty, friendship and honesty are the themes throughout the song. However, the bridge is an interesting plea begging for validation that he did all he could to save a relationship. It is is a series of lines that make me think the song may be about a lost love, however for me this song is about friendship and looking back.

"I'll remember you at end of the trail. I had so much left to do. I had so little time to fail. There's some people that you don't forget even though you only seen em one time or two."    This is the line that really resonates with me. It urges me to make sure those that I love know what they have meant to me. We don't want to reach the end of our trail without them knowing that we appreciate them being there always or even just once or twice. It is interesting to wonder how many people we have left our impact on over time, even if we have only met them once or twice. 

I'll Remember You (Studio)


#bobdylan #i'llrememberyou #maskedandanonymous #loyalty

Comments

Popular Posts