13. Shooting Star

Bob Dylan is back again. This time with another 80s song. Shooting Star is not as well known a Dylan song as some others, but I love it. As this song will show not everything he made in the 80s is throw away as some might have you think. Don't listen to the critics.

The best version (Unplugged) is sometimes blocked on Youtube and it is superior to the studio version. You can find Unplugged at the Spotify link below. I also included another nice live version as well. 

This song is all reflection. I see it as a reflection on life and death. From the opening lines referencing a shooting star trying to break into a world he never knew and wondering if they made it through, to my favorite verses I see this song as his musings on what the characters have become, whether alive or dead. 

Like many Dylan songs this one goes from directing the lyrics to others and then himself. My favorite line feels like he is at the end and he is hoping he lived up to the expectations of another.  It makes us wonder if at the end of the line will we have have been what our loved ones wanted us to be? 

Seen a shooting star tonight
And I thought of me
If I was still the same
If I ever became what you wanted me to be
Did I miss the mark or over-step the line
That only you could see?
Seen a shooting star tonight
And I thought of me

Additionally, the last verse seems to confirm my thoughts on the theme of the song. The star slips away and this time it seems as if it is someone else that he failed to communicate with that is gone and it is simply just sad. Too many times people slip away never hearing the words you want and need to say. Don't let that happen to you, be honest, be better and work harder for the people you live to love. They need to know and you need to say it. 

Seen a shooting star tonight
Slip away
Tomorrow will be another day
Guess it's too late to say the things to you
That you needed to hear me say
Seen a shooting star tonight
Slip away

Shooting Star (Unplugged) 






#shootingstar #unplugged #bobdylanunplugged #livetolove #bebetter

Comments

Popular Posts