15. If We Were Vampires

Jason Isbell is back with another gem. Don't let the title keep you away. This is not some preteen vampire movie soundtrack song. This song is pure love unleashed. Well, love, the cruelty of time and the dreams of wishing you could live forever with the one you live to love. However, he finds the benefit of time running out, speculating that perhaps it makes us work harder for the ones we love. Isbell is a master of capturing the feelings we have for our partner in a way we only dream we could do ourselves. 

Having just celebrated an anniversary with my beautiful wife this song appeared at a fitting time. The sentiments expressed in the lyrics are everything I think about my wife and our relationship.  If only we could live forever, but knowing that we can't is heartbreaking. One of the things I love most about this song is that Isbell flat out speaks the truth and wishes his own demise comes before that of his wife. Amen brother. Amen to that. To find a love that is like the one described here and that I have for my wife calls not only for wanting to live for ever, but to never have to live a day without her since I know we can't be immortal.  Simple, timeless and something that I hope my kids get to experience in their lives with someone they love. 


#jasonisbell #ifwewerevampires #liveforever #mywife

Comments

Popular Posts