20. I Remember Everything

 John Prine's last recorded song and it is special. It is everything I like in a song. Time, memories, the past, love and simple joys. It is like a snapshot into my mind. If you are what will probably be the only person to make it through all 20 of the songs up to this point you will recognize how this song kind of wraps up all of the themes of the songs I have written about into 3 minutes of perfection. 

Prine remembers the simple things that have brought him joy and in doing so invites us to do the same. Like him we all will never forget some of places and people we have encountered along the way. I have places where I remember every tree.  I have lived this song.  I remember family trips with my Mom, Dad and Sister. I remember every fishing trip with my Dad. I remember the countless laughs with my first friends. I remember the freedom I felt speeding down the road in that old 88 Silver Bronco II. I remember having such an amazing group of friends to make memories with in college. I remember my first kiss with my future wife and the joy it brought me. I remember seeing her walking down the aisle as beautiful as anything from heaven. I remember the moonlight reflecting off the ocean as the wind gently blew her hair and purple dress on our honeymoon in Hawaii. I remember the joy of seeing my daughters born. I remember their little hands holding mine. I remember hearing their tiny voices say, "love you daddy".  I remember so many things and will never forget. I have been an unbelievably lucky man when it comes to the people that have raised me, befriended me, loved me, tolerated me or been born into my family. It amazes me how fortunate fate has been to allow me to live the life I have and that I will never forget. 



#johnprine #iremembereverything #lastsong #neverforget

Comments

Popular Posts