7. 24 Frames

 Jason Isbell. He makes his first appearance on my list, but it will not be his last. He is one of my 3 favorite songwriters of all time. He balances guitar driven songs with masterful lyricism. He bounces from political, love and storytelling songs with ease and there is an honesty to his music that really resonates with me. 

24 frames. The first Isbell song I heard. Once again courtesy of 93.1 WXRT. In this post we return to the theme of the passage of time. However, in this song we aren't dealing with trying to come to grips with how fast time passes, but rather we are coming to terms with how quickly things can go right or wrong.  

I remember as a kid always thinking about what song I thought would be great to play at exact moments of my life. Almost as if I were creating a soundtrack to my life as I lived it. Here Isbell uses the fact that 24 frames of film occur in one second, and he uses that metaphor to show that the movies of our lives can change just that quickly. He takes us on what seems to be a trip down memory lane and in doing so allows us to do the same. Inviting us to revisit all the instances in our lives where we changed our path in a split second. It is humbling to think about how quickly we can make something go wrong or go right. If we are lucky most of the times things went right.  In addition to this there is also some pretty great slide guitar work as well. Enjoy. 





#jasonisbell #24frames #onesecond #besmart #WXRT

Comments

Popular Posts